Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Assistant City Manager Carol Giovanatto appointed as new City Manager of Sonoma

On November 19th, the Sonoma City Council announced out of closed session their agreement to appoint current Assistant City Manager Carol Giovanatto as the next City Manager of Sonoma, effective December 13, 2012. The Council’s appointment of Carol Giovanatto is subject to formal adoption of an employment agreement at the City Council’s next regular meeting on December 3, 2012.
 
Carol Giovanatto has been with the City of Sonoma for 11 years, and is currently Assistant City Manager/Administrative Services Director, serves as City Treasurer and head of the Finance Department.  Carol will replace current Sonoma City Manager Linda Kelly who was recently appointed as the Town Manager of Windsor.

Mayor Joanne Sanders stated, “The appointment of Carol will provide much needed continuity during a time of transition. I have had an opportunity to work with her for eight years and I have full confidence in her ability to meet the fiscal challenges ahead.”

Carol stated, “I am extremely honored to be chosen by the City Council to lead the City of Sonoma organization.  I am focused on continuing the high standards set by my predecessors in providing exemplary service to the citizens of Sonoma.  The appointment as City Manager is the pinnacle of my 37-year career in local government and I value the confidence the Council has shown in me.  I look forward to working together to preserve Sonoma’s economic vitality while protecting its historic character.”